Saturday, October 27, 2012

Still working on those eggs...

I met with another teacher at the school that uses the Activote eggs regularly and figured out how to use them with the classroom computer. Whew- I was really getting frustrated! It seems they only work a certain way so I am happy to have gotten that information. It is sad though that not more teachers use these regularly. There are so many files that are free that are online (and they are so wonderful!) I don't know how many classrooms have these in the school- but both my 3rd and 6th graders are using them so they are throughout the school.
I am working on editing a math file that I will have the students do tomorrow to see where they are in understanding place value. We are halfway through this unit but I think a lot of the students already understand- this will show me for sure and then I can adjust my lesson plans.
Behaviors were better today than yesterday- but yesterday was quite difficult so I would hope today would be better! I still have a couple friends that are shouting out and not listening. I realize I have to get harder on them and flip colors but at the same time I'm not comfortable with that. So many things to adjust to and learn at the same time!

I didn't get a chance to revisit our plants today, but that is probably not a terrible thing because they were only planted two days ago and most of them have not germinated yet. I will get them out tomorrow and we'll look and start the science journals then. I also wasn't able to get the light on them until yesterday after school so I'm sure that didn't help in the germination process. We still have to plant grass and alfalfa as well as the wheat tubes- but the wheat tubes only take a couple days so I'm not too worried about those. I don't know how I can fit all of this stuff into my day- there are so many things we want to do but so little time! That is my biggest struggle right now- time to do everything. 

Our fall book fair is this week. The gym is transformed into a book store and the students love to shop and find a treasure in all the offerings. We took the kids down to the book fair yesterday and they shopped and then more kids brought in money today as well. We encouraged them to purchase books-especially books at their level. Many did- but some still bought books that are much too difficult for them. Oh, and the erasers and posters and other "junk" that comes along with the book fair. (sorry- but it is true- and parents everywhere will agree!) 
I learned that teachers get a small stipend to spend at the book fair to help stock their library. I think this is a great idea- our books in the classroom are always needing repair and retirement so this keeps the library not only stocked, but also fresh. I'm quickly learning that there are a LOT of outside expenses to keeping the classroom stocked and in order so knowing that I can get a couple of books during the book fair without spending money is a good thing! RM shared her stipend with me so I was able to get a couple books as well. Thank you! 
This book came recommended by a third grade teacher for learning about friendly letters:
It is a cute book about a child that got booted from his own room because his parents had a new baby. He now has to share a bedroom with his younger brother and he is not at all happy about this. It is funny and has a great message- not to mention it is all written in friendly letter format so when the students are learning about how to write friendly letters they will enjoy this book and then have it to refer to.
I'm not sure when friendly letters comes up in the curriculum, but I know the students have letters from penpals that we need to write so I think I will try to squeeze this in next week so we can respond to our letters.




No comments:

Post a Comment