Thursday, September 20, 2012


When there is a thunderstorm during school, it is much more exciting than when there is a thunderstorm at home. The sky didn't look too gloomy when we drove to school this morning, but within 30 minutes we could tell there was quite a storm just north of us. One of the students said he saw lightning but neither RM or myself had heard we were supposed to have an bad weather so we thought it was headlights or something else. Sure enough, about 20 minutes later there was plenty of lightning and a good amount of rain. I was working on their morning work with them. We had the lights off (I was using the document camera) so naturally you could see the lightning even better. The students of course wanted to keep looking out the window and were concerned about the storm. I just kept telling them that we have storms all the time and it was fine. Thankfully the storm was quick so we didn't have to worry for long. The rain lasted long enough to make the kids stay inside for recess but it dried out by the end of the day.
After morning work we worked on our books that the kids are writing and created an I-Chart for Read with Someone for the Daily Five. Then the kids went through a cycle of Read to Someone and showed us that they were able to successfully achieve this task.
We had more NWEA testing today- this time it was the language section. There were 53 questions and we had an hour as a class to take the test. We had a couple students that didn't finish in the hour so now we have to spend some time with those students finishing up their tests and then NWEA will be done fora  while. I know the teachers are thrilled to get this off their plate and be able to move on to new things. Our schedule has been all wonky for several days and it is hard to fall into a routine when it is always unpredictable. 
I taught another math lesson today. Monday I will be taking over Math in general. I'm a little concerned about this because there are some open areas in the curriculum that I want to make sure I'm covering but there isn't a strong direction to go in. I am hoping that I'm just not seeing the big picture. And I know that the other 2nd grade teachers (along with RM of course) will make sure I have the information. The second grade teachers team works together very well so that is helpful!
My seminar class started with the University on Tuesday. The workload is a bit overwhelming right now- I still have to digest everything. I know the number of pages we were supposed to read this week was insane. I'll spend several hours this weekend wrapping my head around everything and getting organized.
This weekend my friend Niki is coming to Michigan and I'm so excited to get to meet her in person! We were teammates in several classes during this program. She lives in Washington DC and even though we went there last summer, Niki and I didn't get together when we were there. She has a wedding to go to in Holland so she is flying into Detroit Metro and going to that this weekend and then coming to my house Sunday. I'm excited to spend some time with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment