Wednesday, September 26, 2012

One Two, Buckle My Shoe

Today in math we are talking about knowing numbers as words. I found the poem One, Two- Buckle My Shoe online when I was looking for ideas and thought that would be a fun way to talk about it.
So I found a fun printout of the poem and put it on the ELMO (document camera) and we went through the poem line by line and found the words that were also numbers and then I gave them a worksheet I had created to identify the value behind each number word. There were 20 different numbers for them to read and then determine how many each word represented. It took them a good amount of time but they certainly understood what they were doing by the end of the activity. This was a fun coloring project for them for math- the kids really liked getting out their crayons and doing some fun things. I had another worksheet to have them decode what numbers were written and they did well with that as well. Hopefully they will do well with this section come assessment time.
I have been getting feedback on my lesson presentation from RM each time I teach and have been making an effort to address the issues/concerns that she brings to my attention. I don't remember everything she tells me but I know a repeating thing I'm struggling with is keeping all the students involved and having their attention all the time. There are three friends in the class in particular that are always off task. They are each different (of course) but I have to make sure I'm constantly around them to make sure they are coming along with the rest of the group. Two of the students rarely, if ever, finish their work. All three of them are smart students- but I do not believe they are distracted because they are bored. I have been making sure I do my best to keep up with them and today I felt like I climbed Mt. Everest because all three of them (as well as the rest of the class!) finished the lesson. Yay my friends!
RMs little one isn't feeling well so she will not be there tomorrow. I'm sure it will be fine- they will have a sub there in case Mrs. Leece goes insane-- but I'm sure we will be fine. I'm a little nervous but I guess there is no time like the present!

No comments:

Post a Comment