Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fridays are a wonderful thing!

RM was back today and I don't recall being so happy to see someone as I was to see her today! Not that I couldn't handle it, but I like the comfort of her being in the room and knowing that she has my back when things aren't going so well. With the sub there she (the sub) was asking me almost as many questions as the students. She had never been to Keystone and only one other charter school so she wanted to know all this information about differences between charter and public and really I didn't want to get into a debate or anything so I just kept my answers short and referred her to the office or NHA's website (I know- copout- but I am making sure I don't do or say ANYTHING that could follow me and cost me a job opportunity!)


We had a great day today! We started our day with a school assembly where the band played (my first time seeing my saxophone playing 6th grader playing with the band! How awesome they were!) and then they gave out awards for Student of the Month. This months moral focus virtue was Wisdom. RM and I had chosen a student from our class that used Wisdom consistently over the month. This student, along with one student from each class in the school, was honored for their wise choices during the month. We also had our ice cream social for the students who completed their bridge books over the summer. We had over 180 students complete and turn in those books- those are a lot of effort- the parents of those students should also be invited to have an ice cream! :)

It was the last Friday of the month so it was Spirit Day (don't have to wear uniforms- can wear jeans and either a red or black shirt) and popcorn day. We let the students watch a video at the end of the day for about 30 minutes to celebrate this as well. Meanwhile we still fit in a vocab and pronoun assessment (which my friends did great in- yay!) and spent a good amount of time reading and writing in their books.
I left school completely exhausted and came home to pass out on the couch. Every single Friday I come home and don't even realize I'm passing out- and wake up several hours later. Good thing workweeks are five days long- I don't think I could do a sixth day!

No comments:

Post a Comment